Friday, May 28, 2010

The Beginning

So I have resigned from work and will be heading out to Rocklands on the weekend of 4 June.I will be going for at least a month and having no constraints waiting for me back home I will probably end up staying even longer.My buddy Jay, will be joining me once he gets back from a yacht delivery.Good times ahead.This is something I(and many other boulderers im sure)have been wanting to do ever since my very first trip back in the winter of 2005.My previous longest stay was a mere 12 days in December of 2009.The reason being that with the profession I was in this was the only time I was able to take leave.In the winter of 2009 I made a effort to try go up at least every 2nd weekend but this proved to be expensive(petrol) and the state of depression having to leave every Sunday while I saw all the others enjoying themselves was unbearable.The tables have turned and I am now one of the others.The decission to resign was also due to the fact that if I did not do this trip I would regret it for the rest of my life.It is something that has to be done and I am proud to say that I am not one of these fucking sheep doing what I am told I have to/should do to get by in life.The only downfall to this trip will be an injury that has plagued me since I started bouldering.I have spent thousands of rands on physios and no positive outcome was ever reached.This injury only allows me to climb 1 day with 1 day rest as on my 2nd day of climbing in a row I develop(straight away while warming up)the most horrific pain in my upper arm.My arm looses all its strength and will be in agony for at least 45 minutes after it starts.This is something that has greatly affected my climbing and its sad to imagine what I could be doing had I been able to train properly and climb consecutive days on projects.I was luckily enough to be able to visit Prof. Tim Noakes,a world renowned sports medicine practitioner who gave me some valuable insight into what it could be.He thinks it is some sort of compartment syndrome to my upper arm which is worldwide very rare to occur in the upper arm.Basically what is happening is on climbing my 2nd day in a row, a muscle in my upper arm swells to a state of being bigger the its surrounding fascia therfore constricting nerves,blood vessels and arteries which is the cause of the severe pain and associated weakness.Surgery would be the only positive outcome so after a month I might decide to come back and finally get it seen to.
Well,follow my trip on this site and I will be adding some footage and stories from my trips last year and in easter of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment